I have been working on yet another code generator for ColdFusion for the last six months. I have learned a lot.
When I am done.... it will read a databse and using the metadata and it will create a working app using the ENTIRE database. It is like a mini Ruby on Rails.
You point it to the data source and a destination dir, press enter, and you have a working app. You can go from zero to working admin for a 20 table database in about a minute.
- Generates client side validation based on the data type (string, numeric, float, date, etc.).
- Generates time and date pickers for date/time fields.
- Generates inline wussywig text editors for Text fields
- Automatically generates and populates drop down boxes using foreign keys .
- Has optional secondary validation using key words in the column name (like email, phone, fax, zip, etc.).
- It is almost entirely Object Oriented and uses a very simple MVC methodology.
I am pretty pumped and have been working on this every chance I get. When I get it done, (It really snow balled from what seemed to be a very simple idea), I will be able to crank out a working app, with a couple of clicks, in a matter of minutes.
And yes, I will be releasing it open source.